03 Jan 2012 @ 12:56 AM 

Here is a bass I bought at a pawn shop a couple of years ago. I bought this so I could mess around on a 5-string bass.

I will track my progress and post it as I refinish this one as well.

Posted By: David
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2012 @ 12:56 AM

EmailPermalinkComments (0)
Tags
Categories: Music
 24 Nov 2011 @ 2:10 AM 

The next project I am going to tackle is to refinish a guitar. Here is the guitar I’m going to change.

It’s a stratocaster copy that I picked up at a swap meet many years ago. Surprising thing is it plays pretty good. The tremolo bar causes the strings to go out of tune once and a while but other than that it’s ok. I’ll record the steps I take to refinish it and post them as I do it.

Posted By: David
Last Edit: 29 Dec 2014 @ 07:56 PM

EmailPermalinkComments (0)
Tags
Categories: Music
 21 Nov 2011 @ 3:23 AM 

Here is my pedalboard as it appears today.

After using it for awhile I have discovered a design flaw; the pedals in the back are difficult to reach with my foot without disturbing the settings on the pedals in the front. I’m working on a fix right now and will keep you updated.

Posted By: David
Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011 @ 03:28 AM

EmailPermalinkComments (0)
Tags
Categories: Big Dave's Log, Music
 13 Sep 2010 @ 2:56 AM 

As I’ve eluded to in previous posts I have taken up the guitar again.  A long time ago I was a bass player in a backyard band and I still play the bass but I’ve always wanted to play the guitar with more proficiency.  I also enjoy the accessories for the guitar like the effects pedals.  Effects pedals can become messy with all the wires and the fact they’re all over the floor sliding around.  The best way to correct this is to organize them on a pedal board.  Now to buy a decent pedal board can cost $100 to $200 dollars and you have to deal what they offer.  The other option is to build your own if you have the tools and know-how to do so.  I have the tools (thanks dad) and I have some know-how (thanks again dad) but I’m far from being an expert.  I also found an article on-line showing how to make a pedal board from an inexpensive shelf sold at Ikea.  So after a trip to Ikea and then to Lowes I was ready to begin.  Below is a photo of my raw materials.

The shelf sold at Ikea is a Gorm shelf.  It is sold in a variety of sizes but the best size for pedal boards is either the 19 5/8″ x 12 1/4″ or the 30 3/8″ x 12 1/4″.  The smaller one costs $3 and the larger one is $5.  Since I didn’t know which size I wanted to make I bought both.  I also bought the post extensions to make the riser on one end of the board.  This gives better access to the back pedals and a place to mount the power supply.  The riser costs $4 for a pair.

The first thing I did was cut the risers to the width of the shelves.  I bought some 1 1/2″ x 5/8″ molding to add to the front to give the board a “finished” look.  Then I gave the shelves and the risers a quick sanding and then I painted them.  I painted them yellow to which I will add black later because I’m a Steeler fan.

After I finished painting them I tried to paint a name for my board but I didn’t come out right so I had to sand and repaint one of them.  This took a whole day to correct.  Once the paint had dried I drilled holes in the risers and attached the risers to the shelves.

I did add one thing to the design… a border.  I bought some small 1/4 round molding to go around the outer edge.

I cut them to size with a miter saw making a frame for the board.

Before I attached them I painted them black.  To attach them I had to drill holes in the molding so the nails wouldn’t crack them.

Once the holes were drilled I attached the molding with Gorilla glue and nails.  I used finishing nails and to set the nails in place I had to finish nailing them using a punch.

Here’s the board with the attached molding.

The reason I attached the molding was to add lights.  I used rope lights that I bought at Lowes.

The lights came with little plastic brackets to attach them so I had to drill more holes for the screws.  These will be under the lights so I’m not worried about them showing.

As you can see the lights don’t go all the way around the board.  The next length up for the lights would have been too long and that would have looked worse.  So, I centered the lights leaving the space on the bottom of the board.  The lights will go further around the smaller board.

Now I wanted to add the board’s name that I screwed up earlier.  To do this I used my wife’s Cricut that she bought a couple of weeks earlier.

I cut out each name and used transfer tape (a Cricut thing) and applied the name to the front of the board.  Then I added the power supply using plastic wire straps and staples. I added industrial strength Velcro to the board.  I did just as the website said and attached the rough side of the Velcro and the soft side to the pedals.  This is so your pedals don’t scratch tables or anything else if you use them anywhere else.  I also put one strip of Velcro on the bottom side of the board so I can secure the cables and wires.

I found self-adhesive non-skid rubber strips to use as feet.  I just cut them in half and stuck them to the underside of the board.  They prevent the board from slipping without adding any extra height.  You can see them in the above photo.

Once everything was ready I started attaching pedals and routing the cables and wires.  Below are photos of the completed board with my pedals.

I focused my attention on the larger board.  I plan on finishing the smaller board and when I do I’ll post a photo.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions.

Posted By: David
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010 @ 02:56 AM

EmailPermalinkComments (0)
Tags
Tags: ,
Categories: Big Dave's Log, Music

 Last 50 Posts
Change Theme...
  • Users » 3
  • Posts/Pages » 84
  • Comments » 4
Change Theme...
  • VoidVoid
  • LifeLife
  • EarthEarth
  • WindWind « Default
  • WaterWater
  • FireFire
  • LightLight